Monday, April 9, 2012

Opportunities vs Catastrophes

    photo by Susan Murphy





I began hearing rumors of impending doom last year when the calendar was about to roll over.... whispers about the Mayan calendar and how it predicted that the world would end in 2012. I didn't put any stock in those rumors...I really don't spend energy worrying about the end of the world. I have enough to do to keep me busy and don't need to create any more anxiety in my life than I already have. So....I poo pooed the warnings and put it out of my mind.


On a recent trip to Mexico, a fat travel brochure made its way into my luggage. When I was unpacking from the adventure, I came across the brochure and started flipping through it, reliving some of my vacation fun. On one of the pages I found and enlightening article about the Mayan calendar and the 2012 warning. That article made a lot of sense and is one we should all pay attention to....wise words for the rest of this year and beyond....


2012: The Opportunity for a New Beginning

"According to the Popol Vuh, the Mayan sacred book, time was divied into "Eras." In each one of them, the gods created versions of humanity using different materials, but it was not until the present Era, when they fed their new human creation with grains of corn, that they finally considered their work worthy.

Each Era lasts 13 baktuns (periods of 394 years), adding up to a total of 5,126 years per Era. According to the Mayan calendar, the Era we live in began on August 13, 3114 BC, which means it will come to an end on December 21, 2012 AD.

The Maya always believed that death and endings were merely a natural and necessary step towards a renaissance or renewal. Therefore, this date should not be thought of as catastrophic, as mistaken interpretations of the Mayan Prophecies have done; it is merely the start of a new Era, A NEW BEGINNING.

The ancient Maya believed that the gods gave humans the responsibility to maintain their creation. Thus, today we can understand that human intervention is vital to preserve the world we live in; we cannot avoid this great responsibility. Following the belief that a new man was created in each Era, a creature better than the one that came before, we are now given the great opportunity to renew ourselves and our lives, to turn into a better version of ourselves, so that this new human can re-establish a balance with the planet and with all other living beings.

Mayan wise men said that in the teachings of the past, we find knowledge to live a better future. On December 21, 2012, A NEW OPPORTUNITY BEGINS."
from Map A Pocket Guide of cancun, Xcaret, Xel-Ha; La Voz de México.

                         photo by Susan Murphy

No comments:

Post a Comment